Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:37:15 -0600

Nope. There is an endian conversion issue. However, Oracle does now have
a cross platform incremental backup option that you can use, and if you
have the licenses, you can do this with golden gate also. Here is some
information on the cross platform incremental backup:
http://houseofbrick.com/fast-xtts-with-cross-platform-incremental-backup/

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Deepak Sharma <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We have a 11.2.0.4 DB on AIX and want to move it to HP Intel Redhat Linux.

The new Linux server also has a new storage.

Currently we use RMAN Image Copy backups on the AIX server, do
incrementals every day and then merge those incrementals with the previous
Image, thereby moving the Image Copy current.

Question: Can we move the RMAN Image copy backup to the Linux server, and
convert it (endian conversion) using some RMAN command?

What I understand is that the RMAN "CONVERT TABLESPACE" on source (AIX)
and "CONVERT DATAFILE" on target (Linux), are the standard method, but
would require downtime on the source system (AIX).

I was wondering if the RMAN Image copy could somehow be used (as described
above), so we can still have the production system on AIX up and running.

-thanks

--
Andrew W. Kerber