Re: Migrate databases to new servers and storage

  • From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 05:28:54 -0400

I like the standby approach myself.  If you're talking about SAN storage
another option would be to separate the storage move from the host swap.
If you're using ASM you could let it rebalance to the new disks while
dropping the old.   This can be done on the new or old machine.  If not
using ASM and are using a volume manager you should be able to mirror to
the new storage and then break the mirror leaving the new storage.

Now you have minimized the downtime to deporting from the old machine and
importing to the new.  One reason this is nice is it allows you to make one
change at a time and assess the impact.

Kenny