Migrate EBS 11i 11gR2 Solaris database to 12c Linux

  • From: Biju Thomas <biju.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:22:57 -0500

Hello experts,

We have a project to migrate and upgrade EBS 11i 11gR2 database.

The requirement is:

*Source:*
EBS 11i - 11.5.10.2 RUP6
Oracle DB - 11.2.0.3 (non-RAC)
DB OS - Solaris 10
Database size - ~4TB (about 1TB is SYSTEM, SYSAUX, TEMP, UNDO, etc)

*Requirement (migration/upgrade)*
EBS R12 - 12.1.3
Oracle DB - 12c 12.1.0.2 (RAC)
DB OS - Linux OEL 6 x86-64

I have been reviewing the following MOS notes:

Using Transportable Tablespaces for EBS 11i Using Database 11gR2 (Doc ID
1366265.1)
11G - Reduce Transportable Tablespace Downtime using Cross Platform
Incremental Backup (Doc ID 1389592.1)
12C - Reduce Transportable Tablespace Downtime using Cross Platform
Incremental Backup (Doc ID 2005729.1)

We want to do the R12 upgrade on the new Linux platform, because it has
better CPU and memory configuration.

If this was a non-EBS database, the platform migration and upgrade of 11gR2
to 12cR1 would be much easier. MOS note says "Cross Platform Incremental
Backup is not certified to work with an EBS database." I am not sure why...

Looks like we will have to go with:
1. Migrate database to Linux 11gR2 to 11gR2 [downtime duration depends on
time required to copy the data files after making the tablespaces read only]
2. Upgrade database to 12c [downtime required]
3. Upgrade EBS from 11i to R12 [downtime required]

#2 and #3 can be interchanged.

Is there anyway to combine #1 and #2, or to reduce the downtime required in
#1 or #2. Since cross-platform incremental backup method is not supported
withe EBS, if we can migrate from 11gR2 to 12cR1 on the new platform in
single step, at least the upgrade time can be saved.

The best scenario is to migrate 11gR2 Solaris to 12cR1 Linux using
incremental backup, but that is not supported.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated...

Also considered Golden Gate migration.
https://blogs.oracle.com/dataintegration/entry/low_downtime_e_business_suite
But, for EBS, GG solution works only if we engage Oracle ACS (Advanced
Customer Services)

Thanks for your time reading...

Have a great day!

Biju Thomas