RE: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the marke t

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>, <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>, <BoivinP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:12:23 -0500

Humm,  Seems I remember reading an article about a company that had gone
through some refurbishment of their facilities,  After the construction
folks went on their way they made an inventory of the servers that they
had.  There existed one server, Sun OS I do believe, that they could see
on the network, but could not physically find.  One of the hapless IS&T
folks was assigned the task of hand tracing the network cable from the
network switch to the server in an effort to locate it.  He found the
server boarded up in an old closet that had been sheet rocked over
covered in a good inch of dust.  Apparently the server had been there
for years without a reboot, patch, or any other attention and was
housing a mission critical application.  The CIO, as I remember, was
quoted as saying "Good thing it was not running Windows!".

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA