RE: Microsoft Windows, will rule in the next 8 years in the marke t

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:16:26 -0500

David,

        Well I'll give on that part, an OS is just a tool & yes you
should use what your most comfortable with or what is at hand.  My
preference is for Linux of one of the nix flavors.  And no I don't do
things as root or administrator.  No one should unless it's absolutely
necessary.  Tell me, how many times do you see a DBA logon to their
database as SYS?  I'll bet it's more times than it should be.  Here we
dba's use our own personal accounts that have been granted dba access.
Sys gets used mainly to start & stop databases and system is likewise
rarely used.=20

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA