Re: Metrics for Swingbench benchmarks

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:45:45 -0400

Agreed, but I was surprised to find a customer recently that has a single database (it's a 2-node RAC) that was installed on RH 3 and 10.1.0.3 about 3 years ago and they've never done any patches, upgrades, or DB maintenance to the system in that period. Not surprisingly, it's in need of some TLC and we're slated to begin the 11g RAC upgrade testing next week, but I was surprised they made it this long.

Footnote 1 - They also weren't using archivelog mode until we showed up and took the first-ever database backup. Yes, I'm serious! And this DB houses the data that is the basis of 100% of the company's revenue.

In all my years...one for the record book.

Jeremy Schneider wrote:
**
PS - I'm loving this whole thread because it's a perfect example of the bogus hype around RAC. Clustering is powerful technology and honestly, a lot of applications will scale well with no modifications on RAC. (The well-designed ones.) But clustering is complicated and if a sales person gives the impression that you can just run any application on RAC to make it magically faster -- baloney!!!!