Metrics for Swingbench benchmarks

  • From: "John Hallas" <john.hallas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:46:10 -0000

Swingbench is an excellent toolset and we are pushing our test rig by
using it. However I am not sure how to tell when you have an optimum
configuration or what a realistic throughput (TPM might be).

The best source of information I have seen is a paper by Larry Pedigo of
Oracle on a Linux/Windows comparison using Swingbench.

http://www.perftuning.com/pdf/Comparison_Oracle_Windows_Linux.pdf

In that, using a 2 node RH4 pair of HP  DL380 servers and a SAN back end
he sees a transaction per minute (TPM) of around 76000 (according to a
screen shot which I think was with his optimum configuration).

We are using Sun V585 servers with OEL5 and a solid state disk backend.
Our figures show a remarkable similarity with a constant level of around
75000 TPM.

Both tests referred to above were using the Order Entry stress test with
2 servers generating load and the configuration set to 125 users per
generator and 0 think  and wait  time (pretty much as Larry covers in
his paper).

When we ran an insert stress test (again using the Order Entry schema)
we achieved 410000 TPM with a single load generator to a single
instance, 320000 when both instances were running and a pathetic 120000
when we added a second load generator.

Under every test we see the main problem being the major contention on
gc_buffer_busy blocks.

We did get benefits on binding a second interface card and adding that
to the CRS config but when we added a third card that seemed to reduce
throughput and we had several node crashes.

I am not really asking a question here but hopefully these notes may be
useful for others when they are searching for Swingbench throughput
rates and results. Any comments appreciate though

John

+44 (0)113 223 2274 (direct)

+44 (0)113 297 9797

The information included in this email and any files transmitted with it may
contain information that is confidential and it must not be used by, or its
contents or attachments copied or disclosed, to persons other than the intended
addressee. If you have received this email in error, please notify BJSS.
In the absence of written agreement to the contrary BJSS’ relevant standard
terms of contract for any work to be undertaken will apply.
Please carry out virus or such other checks as you consider appropriate in
respect of this email.  BJSS do not accept responsibility for any adverse
effect upon your system or data in relation to this email or any files
transmitted with it.
BJSS Limited, a company registered in England and Wales (Company Number
2777575), VAT Registration Number 613295452, Registered Office Address, First
Floor, Coronet House, Queen Street, Leeds, LS1 2TW