RE: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:03:00 -0400

Vanessa,

A good first test is to validate your backup.  Simply allocate a channel
and issue a "restore database validate;".  This does everything that a
restore would do except it does not touch the database.  Validate both
your database and archivelog backups.  This will prove that you can get
the backups off of tape or from disk, depending on the type of backup
you are doing.  I run a validate backup every week for all of our
databases.

After this, I would insist on performing a complete restore just so that
you know it can be done.

Good Luck!

Tom