RE: Metalink response time - Using Metalink to get the right Severity code assigned to your SR...

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:53:30 -0400

If you have a whole raft of developers playing solitaire at $150 an hour then
having a development system down is a critical problem.  I had that argument
once when my SR got downgraded.  I thought they were being kind of obtuse.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health
Bureau of Information Technology
2150 Herr Street
Harrisburg, PA 17103
dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________
From:   Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx
Cc:     oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   06/30/2009 12:59 PM
Subject:        Re: Metalink response time - Using Metalink to get the right
Severity code assigned to  your SR...
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

Update the SR and have them up it to a sev 2. You can also call and ask that
they update the SR to a Sev 2.

For those of you who are not aware, here is a Metalink hint...

If you want a sev 1 SR, answer the "Is the problem causing Mission or business
critical loss of service..." prompt YES. You will get a SEV 1 SR.
If you want a sev 2 SR, there are three questions that you need to pay
particular attention too at the end of the last SR form:

Can you easily recover from, bypass or work around the problem?
Does your system or application continue normally after the problem occurs?
Are the standard features of the system, or application, still avaialbe. Is the
loss of service minor?

If you answer all questions NO then you get a SEV 4 SR.
if you answer only the "Can you easily recover from, bypass or work around the
problem" question NO, you get a SEV 3 tar automatically.
If you answer the "Does your system or application continue normally..."
question NO, then you will get a SEV 2 tar automatically. Answering this with
the others YES will still result in a Sev 2 SR.
If you answer the Are the standard features of the system, or application,
still avaialbe. Is the loss of service minor? question YES,  you will get a SEV
2 tar automatically. Answering this with the others YES will still result in a
Sev 2 SR.

If I need support at a reasonable speed, then I always choose to make the SR a
Sev 2. Otherwise  you just wait and wait.

Hope this helps!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com<http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com/>
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)
http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf