Re: Merge command

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:39:45 -0600

Thank you , Louis, Jonathan, Greg and sol beach . Really appreciate your

I don't think I will be able to use the external tables due to the fact
that the input files are located on a
remote server.   Regarding the Merge command itself, are there any specific
tuning actions I need to
do? Usually for an insert I try to drop the indices , do the insert,
rebuild the indices. For an update,
I do keep the indices. Merge is a combination of the two, so I am leaning
towards keeping the indices
on , is that reasonable?

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "Jonathan Lewis"
             <jonathan@jlcomp.
             demon.co.uk>                                               To
             Sent by:                  "'oracle-l'"
             oracle-l-bounce@f         <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             reelists.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/10/2008 01:13          Re: Merge command
             AM

             Please respond to
             jonathan@xxxxxxxx
                emon.co.uk

If you have any uniqueness constraints on the table
then you need to be sure that the merge command
will not try to break those constraints, or the whole
merge will fail and rollback.

The obvious example is where you might have two
rows with the same primary key in the flat file that
needs to be inserted - but if you have other unique
keys declared the problem becomes a little more
awkward.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com