Memory Utilization under Linux and OEM

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:36:54 -0300

Now... I know I'm missing something trivial here... I hope...

I have a four node RAC, each node with 62G of memory. DB is 11.1.0.7

I have all four instances configured with 36G SGA and 8G PGA. (this adds to
44G and about 70% of the server memory)

Now, I also have an OEMGC Agent and of course the CRS and ASM running.+

OEM is 10.2.0.5 with PSU3.

OS tools (free) shows that I have about 13G of free memory, which means that
I have about 80% memory usage. Now, so far so good, this is what I expected.

$ free -g
Mem:            62         61          1          0          1         10
-/+ buffers/cache:         49         13
Swap:           31          0         31

Now... OEM says that Memory Utilization (%) is about 25% for each host for
the last 31 days.

Am I  wrong in assuming that Memory Utilization (%) is the % of memory used?
shouldn't that be more around 80%? is OEM looking somewhere else? (actual
utilization within the database as opposed to allocation)

It would actually be more consistent if Memory Utilization (%) was the free
memory %... :-P

confused...

Thanks in advance
Alan.-