Re: Meltdown and spectre

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 03:05:33 -0500

Thanks Stefan!
You saved me some time with this post. Also, IBM did a very good job explaining what the problem is. Those vulnerabilities do not at all affect your run of the mill DB server which is usually accessed only by the privileged users like DBA personnel and system administrators. So,basically, the conclusion is that the hardware we are running our stuff on is not perfect. Few years ago, there was a similar imperfection called "rowhammer" I am writing this on a HP laptop and I am aware of more than a single HW imperfection. That is the reason for the English language to contain so many F-words. Using them is pretty much all that we can do.
Regards

On 01/07/2018 02:38 AM, Stefan Koehler wrote:

Please be aware that even Power / RISC is affected ...

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-cpu-security-issue/
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/potential-impact-processors-power-family/

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

"Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 6. Januar 2018 um 21:52
geschrieben:

Would this help revive the fortunes of depleting RISC based processors? Only
time will tell.

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant
http://mgogala.freehostia.com