Maximum number of Oracle instances on Windows

  • From: "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:38:25 +0000

One of the sites that I support has asked me to spec out new production and
dev/qa database servers.  They are currently running Windows.  On the
production server they expect to have 15 or 16 small Oracle instances with a
total SGA+PGA  of 35 gb.  About half of their instances are at 11.1 but they
well be eventually upgrading all of them to 11.2.  If we go with Windows for
the new servers we will be running Windows Server 2008r2 64 bit.

I would, obviously like to move them to Linux, but I expect that they will
resist the idea.  Are we going to run into any absolute or practical limits
running 15 or 16 Oracle instances with 35 gb of memory on a Windows server?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss