Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

  • From: "Richard Foote" <richard.foote@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:18:59 +1000

Hi All,

I'm currently writing a rather detailed paper for our local user group on
Index Internals, tentatively titled "Index Internals - Rebuilding The
Truth". I haven't had this much fun with tree and block dumps for quite a
while ;)

One of the many myths I'm exposing is the "rebuild if index has more than 2,
3, 4, 42, whatever levels". Now to get an honary mention in the paper (what
more reward can one wish for !!), I would love to know who on the list has
created an index with the greatest height and perhaps a little info on it's
circumstance.

Steve Adams once mentioned to me creating an index with 20+ levels, can
anyone else come close ?

Thanks for any replies.

Richard