Re: Mastering the Basics

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gxallen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 09:30:07 -0500

http://www.ardentperf.com/pub/services-schneider07.pdf

I'm sure I've posted the link at least 3 times on this list as well, but archives aren't always easy to search/identify.

Dan

Grant Allen wrote:
Newman, Christopher wrote:
Hello,

We're trying to create some in house training material to get our team
up to a higher proficiency level in a variety of database topics, which
roughly mirror the 10g OCM exam material.  One of the topics on the list
is 'Manage Services'.  (list is here:
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_i
d=41&p_org_id=&lang=&p_exam_id=10gOCM)

It makes sense to me that this is 'services' as seen through Grid
Control, replete with metrics, beacons, and the like.

Look for "Unleashing Oracle Services" by Jeremy Schneider (original PDF was called services-schneider07.pdf ... see the list archives for where to find it, or Google for it). It's 18 pages, and is bang-on what's needed for training/demystifying material for services, including extended tracing/metrics support for services, reporting, etc. Some good examples in there which could form test/lab material ... and after reading, anyone who doubted the value of services should be singing their praises from the rooftops.