Massive Number of Concurrent Users

  • From: Dave <user4test@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:52:11 -0600

Just wondering if anyone on the list who has worked with a concurrent peak
user load in the thousands (1000 - 5000) would mind sharing some nuggets on
the hardware they used to support such a load.  The load would come from an
OLTP (80/20 r/w) web application using JBOSS application pools to the
Oracle 11gR2 Ent database.  I've been doing some research looking at
powerful systems capable of supporting 80 Intel cores per system and
connecting that with some PCIe Flash Memory for the L2 cache (flash cache)
as well as using shared storage into a RamSan-630 via FC in order to
maximize the use of the CPU cores and fast I/O.  This would likely be a RAC
scenario with two like servers.  By the way, I am aware of how relatively
"cheap" (cough) the hardware is compared to the millions in Oracle
licensing this will cost.  Still, I suspect the entire thing will be
cheaper overall than an Exadata x2-8 system.
Thanks!