Manually editing the oratab file - is this OK?

  • From: "Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:19:49 +0100

We're currently running Oracle 9.2.0.6 on all our servers, both Windows
and Solaris.

After using OEM in stand-alone mode for some time, I've been given the
task of implementing the full 3-tier architecture. So I've set up a
Management Server and created a repository. I then tried to
auto-discover all the nodes running Oracle database instances. It soon
became apparent that all the Windows servers (on which the databases had
all been created using DBCA) were running Intelligent Agent, and were
discovered OK. However, our two SUN Solaris boxes didn't auto-discover,
because they weren't running the Intelligent Agent. So i started IA on
each server, and tried again. OEM discovered the nodes, but no
databases. I soon discovered that the oratab file on each of these
servers contained only a single line:

*:/opt/oracle9i:N

Knowing that the whole Discovery algorithm starts by extracting the SIDs
from the oratab file, I manually added a line to oratab, for one of the
database instances. And Hey Presto! That database was auto-discovered.

Now, i know that the databases on the two Solaris servers were all
created by the application vendors when they installed the corporate
apps on those servers, and that they were created manually, rather than
via DBCA. Does this mean that they omitted a step which would have made
an entry in oratab? In any case, is it an OK procedure for me to simply
manually edit the oratab file, as above, adding a line for each database
I want auto-discovering? Or are there hidden pitfalls? I've tried my
darnedest to RTFM on this one, but references to oratab are few and far
between in the Oracle documentation, so it's time for me to consult the
experts (that's you lot - I hope!).

Paul Vincent
Oracle DBA
UCE Birmingham