Re: Managing high volumes of data... how to...

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: joseluis_delgado@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:39:08 +0000

when you use snapshots or materialized views, oracle does a truncate and insert
append. if you have indexes on those materialized views, they remain. it is
much slower to do bulk inserts with indexes and constraints.

its faster to drop the indexes, refresh, and then add them in parallel(not the
parallel clause, create them all at the same time with nologging). In these
types of cases i prefer the flexibility of 'create table as no logging' over
materialized views.