Re: Managing developers recommendations

  • From: Richard Ji <richard.c.ji@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:05:55 -0400

Fair enough. But then you got to do:
1. Educate those who have read only access to production on, what's allowed
and more importantly what's NOT allowed to do.
2. If TOAD isn't controllable, find something else that you can.

After all, you ARE the administrator not your management. Because
when shit hits the fan, you are going to get called. So you should show them
that you have authority over it. If my management is trying to overwrite
my authority on DB, then I will let them know all the risks. They probably
and likely don't know the risks when your TOAD user does "select * from
huge_table."
or issue a lock on your transaction table. I know your manager hired you,
but
they hired you to do exactly that, tell them what's good to do and what's
not good
to do.

Richard