RE: Managing CPU_COUNT for micro-partitioning on AIX

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:05:41 -0700

We're running 10.2.0.2 on AIX 5.3 with LPARs and my Unix admins threw in
a few extra tenths of a CPU in our production environment without even
giving me any advanced notice, which I wasn't too happy about
considering we hadn't even tested it, but Oracle seemed to handle it
without any problems and cpu_count magically went up from 8 to 10.
Honestly, I'm not even sure how many tenths of physical CPUs I'm running
on.  All I know is what it looks like according to topas, vmstat, sar
and Oracle, which are all in agreement that there were 8, and are now
10, virtual/logical CPUs, but I don't really know exactly how it's
configured behind the scenes other than that there are really only 4
multi-core CPUs in the box.  My Unix admins like to keep me in the dark
as much as possible so I don't ask too many questions.  You'll notice
when you run the AIX 5.3 performance utilities there are metrics called
ent and entc% or something like that - can't remember for sure off the
top of my head, but these represent the number of virtual CPUs your LPAR
is entitled to, and the % of your entitlement you are consuming.

Regards,
Brandon