Maintaining scripts across multiple DBMS or DBMS versions

  • From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:25:36 +0800

Hi listers,

   I don't know if it interests anybody, but I had a need for trying to maintain a single schema creation script from which I wanted to extract simplified versions, and I also wanted to be able to run my script on several different DBMS. I needed something like conditional compilation with C, and I have written a small tool that does this kind of processing. It can probably be also useful for maintaining at one place scripts that can run on several versions of the same DBMS (a friend of mine does it with defines in SQL*Plus, but it only works on Oracle). Perhaps somebody other than me will use it:

https://github.com/sfaroult/sqlpp

Uses getopt (and includes unistd.h), you must find it elsewhere if you want to compile the program on Windows and you aren't using Cygwin.

HTH

S Faroult