RE: MTS for 5,000 All-at-Once Users?

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:42:46 -0500

Hi Jack
        I guess, we need more details about the architecture. Is this a
3tier architecture? If yes, how does your middle tier handles the DB
connections ? You say "Upload", does it mean some kind of file upload
takes place and another process processes the files ?
        Assuming 2tier connections without any connection pooling, MTS
might be a way to go. Process creation/death for 5000 connections in 20
minutes might be suboptimal with dedicated server approach.
        30 students/5000 users approximately turns to 150000 DML
statements within 20 minutes.Approximately 7500 DML statements/minute. I
would venture to guess that 4 CPUs@3GHz should be able to handle that.
You might want to reduce the work during that 20 minutes with variety of
approaches such as:a) preinserting data and updating only the students
who are absent b) bulk DML statements, c)With increased concurrency on
the objects d)Avoiding log switches during that 20 minutes e) Use of
bind variables f) avoiding space management calls etc.
HTH

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA