MSDOS limitations - WAS sed command

  • From: "Bellows, Bambi (Comsys)" <bbel5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>, <mgs@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:03:46 -0500

As I understand it, the reason that MS-DOS has such a limited set of commands
was that it never needed anything more.  The story goes that it was originally
called QDOS, for "quick and dirty operating system".  Bill Gates put much more
into marketing, sales and lawyers than he ever did into the underlying
operating system.  After he simultaneously fought both sides of the "look and
feel" issue (again, as I understand it, Lotus v Excel and Windows v Mac) and
won one and lost the other, he put all his resources into the GUI side of the
house and never looked back.  Those poor jerks writing command-line batch files
in MS-DOS have the slimmest most arcane set of tools around.  But, they always
have, and it's been 30 years, so..............

HTH,

Bambi.