RE: MSDAORA.DLL (Microsoft OLE DB For Oracle) Connectivity Question

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:20:33 -0600

Well, I finally discovered what was happening.  The VB program is not
using MSDAORA.DLL, but is using the MSDATASHAPE provider (which is
similar).  The OracleOLE provider does NOT provide the functionality of
the MSDATASHAPE provider apparently (functionality the program/developer
requires).  However, there is a bug in the MSDATASHAPE Provider.

When you open both a connection (conn.Open) and a recordset (rs.Open),
you typically close the connection (conn.Close) and in our case set the
recordset to nothing (rs.ActiveConnection=Nothing) to disconnect both
from the database, but allows the recordset to be used offline.
(Disconnected recordset)

However, due to the bug, the rs.ActiveConnection=Nothing doesn't
disconnect from the database and continues to use up open_cursors until
they are exhausted.

In case someone else stumbles across this, here is the link to the
Microsoft Bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288409

Article published under Q288409

Thanks!