MS: of license portability, we get that now

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:44:37 -0400

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132967

"Yuen said Microsoft has liberalized licenses for its own server
applications. Due to changes made late last year, Microsoft software such as
Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Windows Server and others can now be
migrated from server to server without users violating their licenses, Yuen
said.

The importance "of license portability, we get that now," Yuen said. That
portability is true, even if VMs are being moved from server to server using
VMware's V-Motion live migration tool.

Microsoft will also now fully support applications running inside VMs from
partners such as Novell Inc., Red Hat Inc. and Citrix Systems Inc. "If you
have a Red Hat issue, we will attempt to solve it and then escalate it with
Red Hat if we can't," he said."