RE: MS Virtual Server/EMC VMware

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:00:37 -0500

My company uses vmware for many test and development oracle databases as
well as application servers for various products. I was biased against
vmware but it is what was given to me to develop my data warehouse on and
vmware made me a believer.

I hammered away at it running etl loads for days, simulating multiple user
concurrent queries, and aside from being connected to a slow raid5 san which
was replaced with a raid 10 one :) when I eventually got my production box I
had no issues with vmware to the point where I would have to say that if I
wasn't told it was a vm I would not have known the difference. I currently
run my production Business Objects server on a vm and not issues there
either. I never believed I would think so highly of it when I first started
using it.

With all that being said for critical applications I still want dedicated
hardware but for dev/test/misc apps I like it.

Ken