Re: MS Virtual Server/EMC VMware

  • From: "Ghassan Salem" <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:52:20 +0200

I use vmware server (the free thing) to run Linux VMs (Win host). Even had
RAC.
It runs fine, but you need lots of RAM, and many CPUs (if you intend to run
several VMs in parallel).
As for Support, VMWare is supported to the extent where you have to
reproduce the problem on real machine to get your SR accepted.

rgds

On 10/19/06, Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is anyone using vmware or MS virtual server to run any of their oracle components, test or prod? Specifically we are thinking of running the database and oem grid control on 1 of the above. Management has decided that virtualization is the way to go for future windows servers. Our admins are trying to decide which product to pick and their decision may be influenced by how well oracle runs on each platform.

Everything I've read suggests that Oracle only supports vmware and that
rac isn't supported at all.

Thanks.
Joe