MMON & MMAN processes

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:52:33 -0500

Folks,
I need some clarification on the roles of MMON and MMAN background
processes in Oracle 10.2.0.x. As I understand it, MMAN (Memory Manager)
is the process that actually manages the dynamic resizing in ASMM, where
as MMON (Memory Monitor) process gathers some statistics that I am not
very clear on. When I set the "_memory_management_tracing"
initialization parameter to a value (7, 16, 31, 63), it creates a trace
file for MMON which contains memory statistics information but no memory
related information is written in the alert log file. Can someone please
elaborate on the roles of MMAN versus MMON and how can one see what the
MMAN process doing when it resizes memory.

Thanks
Amir