RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:50:12 -0700

re: "you can join a meetup group in a single city"I meant that you can join
meetup groups in multiple cities, but typed the wrong thing.
Iggy

From: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Lunch: I'm a DBA - ask me anything
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:36:07 -0700

Yes, of course; you can join a meetup group in a single city but, if you lived
in Canberra, you would not search for meetup groups in Sydney because you only
search by the supposed location of the meetup group not by the location of the
event. Yury could definitely create an event in Canberra but people would not
find it because Yury's meetup group is supposedly located in Sydney.
In other words, meetup groups grow through the process of people finding the
meetup group. Meetup.com also does a great job of recommending meetup groups to
its members which means that the meetup organizer does not have to work hard to
advertise the meetup group. But, if I lived in Canberra, I would search for
meetup groups in Canberra and Meetup.com would only recommend meetup groups in
Canberra to me.
Yury in Sydney could create an event in Canberra but he would have to tell the
people in Canberra about it. But If Yury created a different meetup group just
for Canberra, then Meetup.com would start recommending it to people who lived
in Canberra.
P.S. Hasn't Yury moved to California?

Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 14:58:48 -0700
From: pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx
To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not really, Yury used to run the Sydney meetup group and I was able to
subscribe from Canberra (300 km away).  Or am I misunderstanding what you were
saying here? PetePete Sharman
Principal Product Manager
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIAPhone: +61262924095 | | Fax:
+61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449 "Controlling developers is like herding
cats."Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook "Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than
that!"Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA From: Iggy Fernandez
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 15:16:15 -0500
From: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@freelists.orgOn Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Tim Gorman
<tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Now all you have to do is create an account on
meetup.com, schedule something, advertise the heck out of it here on ORACLE-L,
Twitter, LinkedIn, etc and then figure out who's going to pick up the check for
lunch.  :-)  If anyone else wants to use meetup.com to organize oracle-related
lunches in their city, I can help with getting the website part running.  (I
already have an organizer account for this.)--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

JPEG image