RE: Lost appendix: Space Estimations for Schema Objects

  • From: "Leslie Tierstein" <Leslie.Tierstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:26:32 -0400

Applying the formulas as documented in Oracle 8, and comparing the results
to an actual Oracle 8i database (a data warehouse; I'm interested only in 8
fact tables ranging in size from 10 million to 500 million rows; the 9i
database is for a new client, and is the reason for this exercise) yields
the following:

- Table estimates for non-partitioned tables are within 10% (uniformly lower
for the estimate than the actual) of the actual
- But the table estimates don't take into account partitioned tables, which
are farther off
- B-Tree index estimates were modified to reflect the changed size of the
ROWID; most are still within 10% deviation from the actual
- We're still looking at the bitmap indexes (determining cardinality) and
the local partitioned indexes

More problematic is actually determining how many rows are going to be in
each fact table -- both at startup and at 6 month intervals.

Unfortunately, we're not going to 10g any time soon, so I can't use the EM
facility Lex mentioned.

Leslie