Looking for table design input

  • From: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:13:35 -0500

Hello everybody:

I am looking for some input on a table design (oracle 10.2.0.3). Here is
what I know:

- the table will probably have several hundreds of millions of rows (I am
looking for a better estimate from my customers)
- it will store the counts per ID pre date per code for each of the ID.
Something like

ID - Year - Month - Day - Code1 - Code2 - Code3 - Count

- We will have a primary key on all the columns except for the count
- The data will be stored for the 15 half-month periods (the Day will be
either 1 or 15)
- The data will be selected based on the ID and the users will need to get
all the data
- I will partition the table by Year/Month/Day to make purging easier.

What I wonder is whether the following design (which I do not like very
much) may give a better performance:

ID -  Code1 - Code2 - Code3 - Count1 - Count2 - ... Count15

Because it may potentially return less rows and therefore require less IO.

Any thoughts?

thank you

Gene Gurevich