RE: Long term AWR retention

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:30:44 +0000

Just something else to keep in mind – it can take a significant amount of space
to store a lot of history, especially if you increase the frequency of
snapshots to 15 minutes like I do and run them 24x7.  On one of my systems the
perfstat schema is about 12GB for approximately 6 months of snapshots taken at
15 minute intervals 24x7.  I’m guessing AWR would be similar.  I know 12GB
isn’t huge by today’s standards, but just something to consider.  If you use
statspack you can cut down on the space consumption by increasing the
thresholds for the top SQL that is captured.  Tim Gorman has a good script for
that here:
http://www.evdbt.com/spparms.sql

I think you can do the same thing for AWR but can’t remember for sure off the
top of my head.

Regards,
Brandon