Re: Long running process

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:08:15 -0800

When you say cumulative SQL runtimes are less than 20 minutes, is that the
elasped time?  Are you running 9i?  If so, the wait events will show all the
times of the DB sessions, including SQL*Net Message from Client.  And if
that's all in the 20 minutes, then it's not Oracle making it take 2 hours.

Of course, this assumes that you are tracing all of the sessions used for
the job.  Are you taking statspack samples?  While a system-wide sample is
not as focused as a trace of the actual sessions running slowly, it will
give some overall insight.  You can see if there's other work happening
which your tracing might have missed, or you could possibly rule out Oracle
completely (if total CPU and waits are low).

--Terry