Re: Logical Standby Switchover on Solaris

  • From: "Indy Johal" <Indy.Johal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:01:27 -0500

Thanks Carel and yes I am not relying on LS for Failover purpose  as I
already have PSB in production but in order to balance the Report Load , I
am planning to put the LSB in production. It is working very good in QA so
far but I thought to check the switchover so that it can be used in some
extreme case and it is failing. I am also planning to do the same test
with 10G and so rebuilding the new server. So from your email, it is clear
that you have not done the switchover Test and so waiting if somebody else
has done the switchover with LSB successfully.

Thanks

Indy Johal
Manager, Database Administration
PR Newswire
indy_johal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.prnewswire.com

(201) 946-5687 [W]
(201) 220 6781 [M]

"We tell your story to the world."

Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/01/2004 09:48 AM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Logical Standby Switchover on Solaris

Hi Indy,

I've configured appr. 30 DG installations, 8(.1.7/9.01/9.2.0.2 and up),
and only one of them was LSB. This one was intended for serving the
www-access, and witth the LSB solution the internet-users couldn't hurt
performance on the Primary (publishing) system. HA was asserted using a
PSB server as well. LSB appeared not be as stable as we wished. (This is
9.2.0.2)

Apart from whatever OS you are on, I would not advise you to rely on LSB
for failover purposes. For reporting, in some cases, yes, it can be
useful. For High Availability you should rely on PSB. If you need both HA
and LSB, consider configuring both LSB and PSB.
All the documented stuff in Chapter 8 of the DG Concepts & Administration
Guide should make you doubt whether you would rely on this for HA. At
least I did, and decided not to go for it and advise my customers
accordingly. There are simply too much failures possible in the Log Apply
services related to unallowed DML etc. As long as you are not responsible
for the DML executed (which DBA is?), applications can seriously damage
the setup you tediously created. PSB is pretty straightforward, once you
master the concepts, and has pretty much matureness right now. LSB is
still immature (at least in 9i, I'm setting up a test in 10g).

Regards, Carel-Jan

At 02:10 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:

Hi,

Is there anybody configured Logical Standby on Sun solaris and if yes, can
you please update the ORacle/OS version including any additional Patches.
The important point I need to know if they have done the successful
switchover. I had tried this and it failed and still working with Oracle
support  but so far with no result. If somebody has done the Switchover
test on other paltform, then please share the Platform. I am doing some
test with ORacle 10G today so as see if it works there.  Actually I had
one of the Reporting site created with Logical standby  for QA and it
failed to switchover and so been struck with rollover to PRoduction.

Thanks

Indy Johal
Manager, Database Administration
PR Newswire