Logical Standby..

  • From: "Smith, Steven K - MSHA" <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:34:13 -0600

In a logical standby database scenario, can you pick and choose the
objects that you want to replicate to the standby instance?

We have auditing tables associated to every table in the OLTP
environment - populated through triggers for updates and deletes.  We
want to replicate some of the OLTP environment tables to a reporting
environment with different indexing options.  We do not have a need to
replicate the audit tables with the primary tables.

Does Data Guard using logical standby allow a 'pick and choose' option
for objects that are replicated?

From reading the manuals, it appears that the logical standby is created
as a duplicate of the primary database and then the redo logs are mined
to keep the standby in sync with the primary.  Once the standby is in
place, is it possible to drop objects in the standby and continue
logically keeping the remaining objects refreshing?  I have experience
with physical standby, but not logical standby.

Thanks for any help.

Steve