RE: Locking the SYS account.

  • To: "Terrian, Tom \(Contractor\) \(J6D\)" <Tom.Terrian.ctr@xxxxxxx>, <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:12:50 -0500

Tom,

My point was if that we were allowed to lock the sys account and it was
truly locked - ie we were not allowed to connect to it like other
accounts when they were locked - it would be a bad thing.

As it is now, Oracle allowing the account to be locked and then ignored
when we connect "as sysdba" to me is a contradiction in terms.  Why even
report that the account is "locked"?  We can't connect to sys unless we
connect "as sysdba" anyway.

To me, locked is locked.  Can't connect to it.

So Denham's quest to lock the sys account for auditors purposes (I
forget why he really needed to do it) is a fools errand.  A DBA (or
someone in the DBA group) can always connect to the database.

A better solution would be to audit all connections to track who is
connecting.

Tom