Re: Locking in Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:19:43 +0100

in old versions of SQLServer you have the WITH_NOLOCK hint, this is
documented well in books online. In SQL2005 there is a feature similar to
read-consistency - that I can't for the life of me remember, but it will  be
all over the marketing since its a 'new' feature. I have no clue about DB2,
except that there was a DB2 press piece a few years back knocking
read-consistency which suggests to me that they didn't then have it.

On 9/12/06, ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know Oracle uses multi-versioning. My understanding in SQL Server reads block writes. I was talking to someone recently who told me that there are ways to get around situations where you have an OLTP and need to full scan a table without blocking your OLTP. Does anyone know about this? I don't use SQL Server. I am just curious.

Does anyone know how DB2 handles locking and transaction control? I was
told by someone who uses DB2 that there are really two versions. One for the
main frame optimized for OLTPs(I could have this backward) and one for Unix
that is optimized for datawarehousing. Do these versions have different
locking mechanisms?

-- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA http://www.orawin.info