Locking in Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:55:01 +0000

I know Oracle uses multi-versioning. My understanding in SQL Server reads block
writes. I was talking to someone recently who told me that there are ways to
get around situations where you have an OLTP and need to full scan a table
without blocking your OLTP. Does anyone know about this? I don't use SQL
Server. I am just curious.

Does anyone know how DB2 handles locking and transaction control? I was told by
someone who uses DB2 that there are really two versions. One for the main frame
optimized for OLTPs(I could have this backward) and one for Unix that is
optimized for datawarehousing. Do these versions have different locking
mechanisms?