Re: Locally managed tablespaces - autoallocate vs. uniform

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:44:43 -0600

Fragmentation of free space is *impossible* with uniform extent sizes.  It
is merely *rare* with automatic extent sizes, but definitely *achievable*.

With automatic extent sizes, the database has a small number of extent sizes
to choose from, but as soon as you have more than 1 choice, fragmentation is
possible.   I have had very good (better than ever expected!) results with
automatic extent sizes myself, but I *can* imagine how these *could* be used
to fragment a tablespace.

I not certain how to do it, but this is probably a pretty good recipe for
fragmentation:  Create a bunch of small segments.  Grow them to 100x or
1000x their initial size (allocating lots of extents of varying sizes).
Drop.  Repeat.  Happily, few (sane) applications will follow a pattern like
this.

For exactly this reason, I prefer to use uniform extent sizes whenever I can
find one that fits reasonably.  It is not always a viable option, though.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead