RE: Locally managed tablespaces - autoallocate vs. uniform

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:04:27 -0400

I say choose what ever method fits your space management plan.  We like uniform
extends since we use raw partitions which for a practical purpose do not
support auto-extending of the datafiles, but we have auto-allocate tablespaces
supporting most of our vendor (third-party) products.  With one exception where
the product actually managed to create a free space fragmentation condition the
feature works well.  For that one product we converted the tablespace to using
uniform extents and have not had an issue since.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148