Re: Locally managed Temporary tablespaces

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peterdixon001@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:27:31 -0400

On 6/9/05, Peter Dixon <peterdixon001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have performed a healthcheck on our production database , I am running
> 8.1.7.4 on hp11.11 with the database files running on a san (raid 5). I w=
as
> surprised to see the average read time for the temporary tablespace as 82=
6ms
> where all the other tablespaces in the database are around 10ms. Would it=
 be
> a wise to move the temporary tablespace data files onto another sort of d=
isk
> storage?
>=20
> Peter Dixon
> 8i OCP

Peter,

Perhaps there was only one sort to disk in that interval (assuming
that you used statspack to obtain the data in a report form) and that
the time to open the file predominated over individual io access
times.

Averages don't work well for small sample sizes.

How many IOs to the temp tablespace occurred over the interval, and
what was the total time?

Paul