RE: Locally Managed Tablespaces

  • From: "Jacques Kilchoer" <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rlsmith@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:16:23 -0800

If you have a locally managed tablespace, you don't need to bother with
specifying the INITIAL, NEXT, MINEXTENTS, PCTINCREASE storage
parameters. You can specify them, and Oracle will initially allocate as
many extents as it needs to satisfy the storage parameters, but there's
no advantage in doing so unless you want to make sure that your table
has space "pre-reserved."

e.g. locally managed tablespace uniform extent size 1M
create table x (...) storage (initial 10M next 20M minextents 5)
You have asked for 5 extents, 1 of 10M and 4 of 20M for a total of 90M.
Your table will be created with 90 1M extents. After that Oracle will
allocate 1M extents as needed - the NEXT parameter will be ignored from
now on.