Re: Loading data usng External Tables

  • From: "Stephen Andert" <andert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: george@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:15:57 -0700

My guess is that the create table would have a bit more overhead.

Test both ways using a but less than 4TB (maybe 1GB?) and let us know.

Stephen

On 8/27/06, George <george@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all.

After a little research basically decided on advice from some good names
the best way to load 4Tb of data unloaded from Informix (Client is
migrating) is to use external tables.

at the moment i am in 2 minds between create table as ... and insert /*
Append... still. of course both is getting data from a select on a
external table that has parallel enabled.

Who's done this before, what guidance can you give me. Lessons learned. if
you have a set of scripts steps that you always follow that makethings fly
would appreciated.

Want to impress the client since he is old Informix hand and now looking
at moving to Oracle.

thanks.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

For super low premiums, click here http://www.webmail.co.za/dd.pwm

Stephen Andert
http://spaces.msn.com/andert-news/

Aesop - "After all is said and done, more is said than done."