Load balancing with RAC according to our own proportions

  • From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <agorbatchev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:26:52 +0200

Hi all,
Could you please share your experience with client load balancing with RAC
in 9i?
Oracle can do it on its own during connection time but this wouldn't suit
our need. We want to define proportions in which connections should be
distributed over different nodes. I suppose it's not possible with
standard Oracle Net architecture. The applications are connecting over OCI
if it makes any difference. We are using dedicated sessions. Sessions are
persistent and normally stay connected for days if not months. I think we
can initiate reconnect if we need to re-balance but I still don't see any
option of how to balance connections automatically by Oracle.
For now, I see only application specific approach - the app would have to
choose which of the instances it should connect to. Please correct me if
I'm wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alex