Re: Load and Query question

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shreeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 27 Apr 2006 11:24:26 -0700
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:24:11 -0600

Well, if overhauling the schema is not currently an option (although I'd
be planning for it to get those descriptions out of there) then I'd just
advise that you tackle the load as you would a normal batch job, and
identify the longest running queries with a view to optimizing them --
you have my sympathies also :D

You might also direct your developers attention to the Oracle Data
Warehousing Guide, which gives some very nice examples on how to
structure and load data (almost exactly the opposite of your current
method, I suspect).

Shreeni wrote:
Proportion wise the time taken is less. Most of the time the queries finish
in under 40 mins for all the tables. However on some occassions when there
has been a significantly larger load, the queries just drop dead. We then
either drop/recreate the indexes or force a hint into the query.

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l