RE: Listener password encryption

  • From: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:47:03 -0700

I disagree completely on this.  Setting the password can help to prevent
a DNS attack on the listener.  Of course, to know if the listener is
being attacked, you should have logging turned on and some kind of
process (swatch) watching the log file for invalid passwords (maybe a
brute force attack).

But hey, don't just take my word for it, read what Pete Finnigan says
about it:
http://www.google.com/custom?q=listener&sa=Google+Search&cof=S%3Ahttp%3A
%2F%2Fwww.petefinnigan.com%3BGL%3A0%3BAH%3Aleft%3BLH%3A70%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%
2F%2Fwww.petefinnigan.com%2Fimages%2Fcompany_logo_1.gif%3BLW%3A736%3BAWF