RE: Listener is stopping !

  • From: "Tim Onions" <att755@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:07:18 +0000

I've experienced this pain too. Kathy is riight about /3Gb and the /PAE memory leak suspicions although I've been able to use in Win2k and Win2003 in 9.2.0.7 by monitoring memory consumption and knowing when it's time to reboot the server.

I'd be careful with DCD - I tried it, it worked but it doubled my Oracle sessions/processes (some kind of shadow process created to enable DCD to work I think) and I suspected that as a result we got more memory issues. You may be better off handling dead sessions via manual checking/orakill'ing. As ever YMMV.

The only true solution if you are hitting a memory limit is to move off 32bit windows - either 64bit as Kathy recommends or a Unix variant where you are not stuffed by the multi-threaded architecture. I did some tests of 10g on windows for a client - memory problems were even worse than their 9i system!

HTH

Tim Onions

Been there done that.......

 You are running out of virtual bytes on Windows...

Are you using the 3G switch? If not this is the first thing you should do.

beware of using the /PAE switch others have reported memory leaks using this up to and >including 9.2.0.6 not sure if it is fixed in 9.2.0.7 or beyond. You take a performance hit to >with /PAE I understand.

 Also use DCD in sqlnet.ora to get of old windows connections.

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb