Re: Linux xdpyinfo for 11g

  • From: "Nadeem M. Khan" <nadeem.m.khan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:20:41 +0530

On 8/16/07, Rich Jesse <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Govindan,
>
> There's a couple of things you can do.  First, I'm not sure why you would
> need the xhost and the DISPLAY variable set, based on what you've shown.

xhost is not requried if he is needs to get the the installer GUI on
the same machine that he is installing on. If the two machines are
different, then the server needs to give the client authority  to
display its X applications. This is precisely what xhost does. You
can't just "steal" the server's display without the server giving you
authority.

Exporting the display variable is required. Normally echo $DISPLAY
does not return any value, which means the variable needs to be set
explicitly. In your case, the variable is probably set in some
user-level init script like bash_profile. Either that, or cygwin does
some magic. Haven't worked much on cygwin so I might be wrong here.

Regards,
NMK,