Re: Linux patching

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:29:10 +0800

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Li Li<litanli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Karl,
>
> I read your article and that's very helpful! Thank you so much for
> blogging about it. I do have a question:
>
> before relinking, you did this:
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
>
> but I couldn't find anywhere that LD_LIBRARY_PATH was referenced by
> the relink script. As follows:
> [oracle@psrac01 bin]$ grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH relink
> [oracle@psrac01 bin]$
>
> Would you please tell me why this is needed?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated!
> -Li

Hi Li,

On Metalink Note

How to Relink Oracle Database Software on UNIX
        Doc ID:         131321.1

Go to Step 3... it requires you to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$ORACLE_HOME/lib   :)

[Step 3] Verify and/or Configure the UNIX Environment for Proper Relinking:
For all Oracle Versions and UNIX Platforms:
 The Platform specific environment variables LIBPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, &
 SHLIB_PATH typically are already set to include system library locations like
 '/usr/lib'.  In most cases, you need only check what they are set to first,
 then add the $ORACLE_HOME/lib directory to them where appropriate.
 i.e.:  % setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${ORACLE_HOME}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
 (see Note 131207.1 How to Set UNIX Environment Variables for help with
 setting UNIX environment variables)

... output snipped ...

If on Digital/Tru64, IBM/Sequent PTX, Linux or any other UNIX Platform not
mentioned above with:

    Oracle 7.3.X, 8.0.X, 8.1.X, 9.X.X, 10.X.X or 11.x.x:
       - Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include $ORACLE_HOME/lib

- Karl Arao
http://karlarao.wordpress.com