Linux buffer cache monitoring

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 07:30:36 -0700

I know this is a bit off-topic for an Oracle list, but I know lots of
you are running Oracle on Linux so you might know the answer to this.

I'm doing some I/O capacity testing with Orion on a new server running
Oracle Enterprise Linux 5, and I can't figure out how to tell how much
of my I/O is being satisfied by the Linux filesystem buffer cache and
how much is actually going to disk.  In HPUX and AIX, I know I can run
"sar -b" to get this information, but that command doesn't provide the
same info in Linux (at least not on this version of Linux).  I've tried
looking through the man pages for sar, iostat and vmstat, and all over
the Internet and I can't find the answer anywhere so I'd really
appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Brandon